I was stretching in the forest one morning and some kids saw me from far away and started imitating everything I did. One thing leads to another, and now we have a weekly morning yoga session (mostly goofy yoga).
Coolest bug I have ever seen. 50 points for anyone who can tell me what it is. I am looking at you Leah Bland.
In early May, my mom, sister and I went on a safari in Murchison National Park. My mom had booked the trip through a local safari company. When I got word that our safari guide Donna would be picking us up, my ears perked up. Donna. Perhaps a woman safari driver? Huh. That would be cool. Were we that lucky? Yes. Yes we were. It's rare to see women driving in Uganda, let alone driving a standard transmission vehicle, let alone driving tourists around, let alone while simultaneously spotting leopards and lions in a four-wheel drive safari van. Indeed, Donna Katesi is one of four female game drivers currently working in Uganda. People did stare a lot – construction workers literally stopped working and stared, mouths gaping, as we drove by. Donna is a skilled game driver and total badass. She joked that she makes her way among her male colleagues by being a bully. Case in point – when she sent us off on a boat tour one day, I heard her tell the guide t...
This past month has mostly been a matter of steadily hauling myself up a learning curve. I’ve had a lot to learn – remembering how to recognize the individual chimps, how to get around the forest, how to tactfully avoid running into elephants, where to by my groceries, what cell phone company now has the best reception… you name it. I have also had a lot to set up in terms of my own data collection protocols. It’s coming along – slowly by slowly, as they say in Uganda. I’m happy to report I haven’t been chased by an elephant yet, have only had to be pulled (I mean that literally) out of the swamp once, and have only been caught in the forest during a few major storms – not too bad considering it's the rainy season. The weather is wonderfully cool now – think June in Muskoka or Canmore – nice and warm during the day but you can bundle up in sweaters and under blankets at night. It stays even cooler in the forest, so I’m happy wearing pants and long sleeves, even though I...
There are many people in Ghana who I have not had a chance to tell you about. I have decided to do a short series of posts on a few of my favourite people. Today, Postman Ben. Postman Ben works at the post office, naturally, and gladly checks our post box for us every Tuesday when we arrive in town. Ben is extraordinarily friendly, has an extraordinary large smile, is ever determined to help us practice our twi and learn new phrases, and always welcomes us with a terrific sense of humour. On top of this, how could one ever dislike the person responsible for delivering to them joyful envelopes from home. Last week, Ben told me we weren’t friends anymore because I forgot to call Tony to tell him to pick up his mail, so Tony’s mail was still waiting in the postbox. With the straightest of straight faces, Ben said my deep heartfelt apologies were simply not enough. He even said there was mail waiting in the postbox with my name on it – mail that he saw with his very own eye...
Comments
Post a Comment